Visitor Services Associate
The California Museum seeks an enthusiastic Visitor Services Associate to ensure a positive and welcoming experience for visitors, advancing its mission to teach people about California’s rich history, its diversity, and its unique influence on the world. The ideal candidate will have excellent customer service skills and will be comfortable working with people of all ages and backgrounds.
- Provide exemplary customer service to Museum visitors and callers.
- Use point of sale systems for admissions and Museum Store sales.
- Assist the Education Department with field trip check-in and communication with teachers and volunteers.
- Provide accurate information about the Museum, its exhibits and events, and the surrounding area.
- Promote Museum membership.
- Assist visitors with general Museum reception and direct them appropriately.
- Collect visitor data and feedback.
- Assist with Museum Store merchandise inventory.
- Restock merchandise.
- Maintain a clean and neat Museum Store appearance and assist with keeping the Museum lobby tidy.
- Open and close the Museum Store as scheduled.
- Assist with merchandise receiving.
- Other duties as assigned.
Skills, Knowledge & Abilities:
- Excellent cash handling skills.
- Exemplary customer service and communication skills.
- Ability to effectively manage in an environment that can be fast-paced.
- Must be able to lift 20 pounds and stand for extended periods of time.
- Must be available to work weekends.
- Bilingual English/Spanish a plus.
- High school graduate.
- One year of retail sales and guest service experience.
- Proof of COVID-19 vaccination and booster or an approved medical or religious exemption
Part-time, non-exempt, reports to Visitor Services Manager. Position will be scheduled for 10–20 hours per week between the hours of 9:30 a.m. to 5:15 p.m. Tuesday through Saturday, and 11:30 a.m. to 5:15 p.m. on Sundays. Flexibility to work occasional evenings required. Starting salary: $16.00 per hour.
Current precautions against COVID-19 and other respiratory illnesses:
Visitors, employees, and volunteers are encouraged to wear masks in the building.
Please send cover letter, resume and 3 professional references in one Adobe Acrobat PDF file to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls, please.
California Museum Employment Policy:
The California Museum is dedicated to diversity, inclusion, accessibility and equity. We are an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, ability/disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.